In This Section
Prostate Disease & Benign Hyperplasia
The prostate is a gland that forms part of the male reproductive system. It is situated in front of the rectum and just below the bladder. The role of the prostate is to release fluid as sperm is passing through the urethra during sexual climax. This fluid is vital for energising sperm and making them fertile; it also enables sperm to survive the acidity of female vaginal fluid. As a man ages, there are poorly understood changes that take place within the prostate. More than half of men over 60 experience some degree of enlargement to this gland. As it grows, the cells push against the bladder wall and start to irritate it and cause it to thicken. This works like a clamp on a garden hose causing restrictions to the flow of urine. Classic symptoms include: a reduce capacity to hold urine or inability to retain urine (with or without incontinence); a hesitant, interrupted and weak stream of urine; urgency and the frequent need to pee at night. Longer term health deficits may follow from untreated BPH. Because it is so very common its prevention is highly desirable.
Foods & herbs for the home
- Consume plenty of zinc-rich foods as this can help to normalise testosterone production; reduced levels of this hormone may be involved in enlargement processes. Foods which are rich in zinc include: sea vegetables, organically grown pumpkin seeds, pumpkins themselves, sunflower seeds, garlic, capsicums (peppers), mushrooms and bilberries.
- Your diet should be high in fresh, green and nutrient-rich foods.
- Consume water and cleansing teas such as Organic Nettle Herb Tea.
- Drink lots of barley water and water with lemon juice, which is alkalising for the body. You can find a recipe for barley water on the Organic Pot Barley page.
- The herb saw palmetto has a traditional use for maintaining a healthy prostate. Read Jill Davies’ book "Saw Palmetto" as a free download. One of the main active constituents found in this herb is beta-sitosterol and this is often sold as a supplement. Foods and herbs that are whole may more effective, however, due to the complex plant chemistry involved.
- Watercress has specific actions on the prostate and should be consumed several times a week for its overall health benefit. Ask for a sample of PolliTox Capsules that also contain watercress.
- Superfood Plus is a tonic food rich in food-based minerals and vitamins that can help to support overall health.
- Regular exercise will increase circulation and oxygen to the pelvis.
- To work with a practitioner, look for an experienced herbalist or nutritionist through the websites of The Association of Master Herbalists or The College of Naturopathic Medicine.
Additional help is available by phoning the free product advice line at Herbs Hands Healing between the hours of 9.00am to 1.00pm. Tel: 01379 608201.
If you would like to learn more about herbs and receive updates about our products and services please take the time to subscribe to our newsletters.
Learn more about Dr. Richard Schulze’s Superfood Plus and why we believe this is such a wonderful food by following this link on our website, where extensive information is available. Also please visit our Superfood Plus facebook page for articles and current news.
To learn more about natural healing for this and other ailments, visit Dr Schulze's blog.
If you would like to see videos of Jill Davies showing you plants growing in their natural settings and discussing their medicinal attributes then visit us on facebook. You can also explore additional herbs and their traditional uses by linking to Herbs Info & Photo Gallery and Herb Profiles. Useful additional information can also be found at the Herbs Hands Healing information pages on Detox & Cleansing and Natural Healing.